Omya produces and provides expertise and innovation in the fields of microbiology, molecular biology, nanotechnology and preservation.
Our range focuses on everything connected to calcium carbonate. We develop know-how and provide services.
Omya conducts research and development for its own purposes and under contract to customers. We seek new solutions and deliver the associated expertise. We focus on three domains:
- Preservatives for the optimization of calcium carbonate applications, e. g. products and strategies against microbial contamination.
- Classical microbiology, e. g. ultra-fast analytical methods to detect viable and dormant cells, including neutralization measures.
- Microbiology and DNA analytics, e. g. prevention of resistance or development of technologies to enhance the effectiveness of biocides.
Omya solves problems and supervise processes. We are just the people to turn to for anyone encountering microbial problems with calcium carbonates. Omya offers service and support to customers across the globe and provides the state-of-the-art know-how in product and process optimization.
At Omya chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology and nanotechnology are networked to perfection. Their specific technologies, equipment and systems are all located in a single place, thus enabling an privileged combination of focus and openness that makes the company fast, flexible and economical.
On request, we recommend steps for optimizing products and production processes. We provide our customers worldwide with on-site advice and offer customized basic and advanced training courses for their employees.
The overview below shows the focal points of our range of services.
- Aerobic mesophilic bacteria
- Anaerobic mesophilic bacteria
- Aerobic spore formers
- Sulfate-reducing bacteria
- Moulds and yeasts
Isolation / Identification / Molecular Biology
- Classic cell differentiation (Gram staining, catalase test, oxidase test, etc.)
- Bacterial identification using API 20N, API 20NE and API STAPH
- PCR 16s rRNA and sequencing
- Identification of gene markers using RT-PCR
Test to Determine Sufficient Preservation
- Minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC)
- Minimal microbicidal concentration (MMC)
- Resistance test
Proof of Antimicrobial Substances
- Compounds with activated halogen atoms
- Surface active agents
- Contact-plate and swab tests
- Determinations of bacterial counts in the air
- Water hygiene
State-of-the-art technology is used to manufacture calcium carbonate products that are tailor-made for a variety of applications.